Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player


About Elizabethton

Government

Business

History - Historic Places

The Carter Mansion
The Carter MansionThe Carter Mansion was built between 1775 and 1780, by John Carter and his son Landon, on lands bought from the Cherokee Indians. It is the oldest frame house in Tennessee and the structure reveals a finely detailed interior. John Carter was elected as Chairman of the Court under the terms of the Articles of the Watauga Association.

Open May 15 - Aug. 15 Wednesday through Sunday and by appointment. 1013 Broad St., (423) 543-6140 or (423) 543-5808

Please visit the Elizabethton/Carter County Tourism website for more information about events and activities in our area.

 


Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area - 1651 West Elk Ave., (423) 543-5808 - The cradle of American democratic government and a launching point for westward expansion in the late 18th century, the Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area celebrates numerous historic events detailing the American Indian and colonial history of what is now Elizabethton. Step back in time to the turn of the 18th century with a visit to a reconstruction of Fort Watauga. The Overmountain Men mustered here in September 1780 before their march to fight the battle of King's Mountain. Here was established one of the earliest permanent American settlements beyond the mountains and the Watauga Association -- the first majority-rule system of American democratic government -- was formed in 1772.

Please visit the Elizabethton/Carter County Tourism website for more information about events and activities in our area.


The Covered Bridge
The Covered BridgeThe Covered Bridge was built in 1882 by Dr. E.E. Hunter, contractor, with the help of George Lindamood and three carpenters. The cost was $3,000 for construction and $300 for approaches. This white clapboard bridge is believed to be the oldest covered bridge in the state still in use. It spans 134 feet across the Doe River and is surrounded by a park with walking paths, benches, picnic tables and plenty of ducks who enjoy the food provided by locals and out-of-towners.

Please visit the Elizabethton/Carter County Tourism website for more information about events and activities in our area.

Watauga Dam & Wilbur Dam
Created by the Tennessee Valley Authority in the 1940s, Watauga Dam created the reservoir to provide electric power and flood control for the county’s highlands. Construction of Watauga Dam began in 1942 and was completed in 1948. The dam’s two hydroelectric generating units have a generating capacity of 57,600 kilowatts of electricity. Construction of Wilbur Dam began in 1909 and was completed in 1912. TVA acquired the dam in 1945 to create the Wilbur reservoir. The dam has four hydroelectric generating units with a generating capacity of 10,700 kilowatts of electricity.

Please visit the Elizabethton/Carter County Tourism website for more information about events and activities in our area.

 
 

City of Elizabethton
Direct technical questions or comments to: webmaster@starhq.com
The City of Elizabethton does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.